Posted on: July 10th, 2009 Green Lantern Cast! Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan!

ryan_reynoldsThe whirlwind of casting rumors can finally be put to rest as we now have our Green Lantern – Ryan Reynolds.

The news of this casting comes quickly since this morning’s rumors that the role of Hal Jordan had been narrowed down to three actors: Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds and Justin Timberlake. Yeah, Justin Timberlake. This is all even after countless reports of auditions and meetings and apparent near-signs from a dozen other actors including Ryan Gosling, Jack Black, Emile Hirsch, Jared Leto and a slew of other young up and comers.

Reynolds is no stranger to comic book characters, having played the vampire-slaying nightstalker Hanibal King in Blade: Trinity, and a variation of the merc with a mouth Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Lately, Reynolds has been talking up his involvement in developing a Deadpool spin-off film over at FOX, but with this mega casting news – for Marvel’s peer/rival publishing house DC comics – may leave that project up in the air.

As a huge Green Lantern fan the news of Reynolds as Hal Jordan pacifies me. I’m really happy with this choice; I think Reynolds has got the acting chops, the charm and the screen presence to really flesh-out the character on-screen. I think the dude is really funny too; something that the character isn’t totally known for, but will definitely help to ease the general audience into the tone of the Green Lantern universe. Let’s not forget that for a newer DC film, we will be expected to take a leap of faith from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to swallow all the wacky looking Green Lanterns and power rings that can form anything the mind and willpower can imagine.

greenlanternrossThough in a perfect world Nathan Fillion would’ve landed the role, this could be the perfect close-second when you consider the overall package you’re getting with Ryan Reynolds (that’s what she said).

The film, which Warner Bros. plans on beginning shooting early 2010, will be directed by Martin Campbell (Casino Royale). Early drafts of the script – one of which I’ve read, and enjoyed – are said to be epic in scale and quite respectful to the source material.

We will give you more news on the Green Lantern film as it is revealed.

Source: Variety

Filed under: Movies, News, comics

8 Responses to “Green Lantern Cast! Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan!”

1. Blog Article and Video about  Giant Killer Squid » Blog Archive » Green Lantern Cast! Ryan … - Emile Hirsch Says:
    July 11th, 2009 at 5:33 am

[...] Ryan Gosling, Jack Black, Emile Hirsch, Jared Leto and a slew of other young up and comers. … http://www.giantkillersquid.com/2009/07/10/green-lantern-cast-ryan-reynolds-is-hal-jordan/ Daily [...]

2. Amanda Says:
    July 11th, 2009 at 8:42 am

But what! Has anyone else played more than one comic book character? I can never remember. What is with that? Would it not be weird seeing him as both deadpool AND the green lantern?
    Don’t get me wrong though. Ryan Reynolds is a good match when it comes to a few comic book characters because he has that funny side. All the dark gloominess needs a little bit of a break up in my opinion. They all can’t be like Batman or the teenage-angst of the last spidey. Also, from a gals perspective, Reynolds body is anything but comical and very super-hero – yum!

3. Ben Rankel Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I’m not upset, but I’m not sure I’m behind this choice 100% (cause we know the film won’t go forward without my approval.)

Reynolds seems a bit too flippant and clowny for Hal Jordan. Time will tell if we’ll get exactly what I expect – a wisecracking smart-ass Reynolds playing Reynolds – or if Mr. Ryan will step outside of himself and actually act for a change.

4. Ben Rankel Says:
    July 12th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I should clarify I really enjoy Ryan Reynolds, but have my doubts about him being the right person to play the often stoic yet entitled pacifist.

Although, we’ll see a bit of the cocky fly-boy test pilot pre-lantern that Reynolds might nail.

5. Tommo Says:
    July 14th, 2009 at 10:25 am

I can dig it. GL was my favorite hero growing up as well, and I think Reynolds can do the part of Hal Jordan justice. I presume they’re going with the Sinestro related story, any news on who would be cast in that role?

6. Ryan Ferrier Says:
    July 14th, 2009 at 10:53 am

From the draft I read, which is pretty solid in terms of what the movie’s premise will be. Sinestro isn’t the main villain, though his deceit is a part of the story and is a big part of the ending. Legion and Hector Hammond being the main baddies.

As Nathan Fillion was with Hal, it seems that Hugo Weaving is everyone’s choice for Sinestro, which is pretty goddamn good casting if they smarten up and listen for once.

7. Ryan Ferrier Says:
    July 17th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

@ben Check out a couple little flicks ‘Nines’ and ‘Chaos Theory’, Reynolds shows that really can act beyond the charming sarcasm Van Wilder role.

8. Film-Book dot Com Says:
    July 21st, 2009 at 7:44 am

I was looking forward to a proper Deadpool movie.