Posted on: June 11th, 2009 Sanctuary set to return to Sci-Fi (SyFy) this Fall!

sanctuary-castThose of you who were lucky enough (or unlucky enough, depending on your point of view) to be home most Friday nights this winter had the opportunity to view one of the most original and interesting original series’ ever to air on the Sci-Fi channel, Sanctuary.  The series had a bizarre premise, as is the case with most Sci-Fi original series.  Check it out below:

Sanctuary blazes a trail across the TV landscape with never-before-seen production technology. Starring Amanda Tapping, best known to fans as the brilliant Col. Samantha Carter on Stargate SG-1, Sanctuary is the first series to shoot extensively on green screen, using virtual sets and extraordinary visual effects.

Sanctuaryfollows the adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus (Tapping), a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a clandestine population — a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans.  Along with her new recruit, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), her quirky tech wiz Henry (Ryan Robbins) and her fearless daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), Magnus seeks to protect this threatened phenomena as well as unlock the mysteries behind their existence. The series also stars Christopher Heyerdahl as the sinister John Druitt.”

I was fortunate enough to catch every episode of the first season, mostly on tivo.  The series was immensely entertaining.  Basically, it was a mix between a crime drama and a fairy tale/myth.  Each week sent the team on a hunt for some new creature to either give protection and a new home to, or to confine the creature to keep the public safe.  The writers were really able to flex their creative muscles with this set up, and we were exposed to creatures based on modern and ancient myths (like werewolves and invisible people) to completely new creations (like giant man eating lizards).  The series also included references to classic characters of American and British folklore, like Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes.  The mansion/compound the team was based in was a massive, beautiful gothic style place, almost like a big castle.  The servant and part time team member was even Sasquatch!

For all it’s obsurdity, it managed to stay strong in the drama department, and not get too ridiculous for it’s own good.  Over the course of the season their were small plot lines developed for the main characters.  I could not turn away, and my fascination led me to watch a show I may otherwise have shrugged off as ridiculous.  I’m sure glad I did.  The series ended season 1 on a pretty big cliffhanger, and I honestly thought that would be the end of the show.  Let’s face it, Sci-Fi channel original programming doesn’t typically have a long shelf life if it’s not called Battlestar Galactica or Stargate.  New shows tend to fall by the wayside all the time on this network (anyone remember Special Unit 2?).  Thankfully, the show brought in solid viewership and the network decided to call for Season 2, with the exact number of episodes to be aired yet to be determined.

I’m reporting on this because it will take more viewers than last season to keep an original program like this on the air.  I’m sending out an S.O.S to any and all fans of mythology and folk lore, to please make it a point to watch the show when it returns this fall.  In case this post doesn’t convince you, when new episodes air I will be bringing you complete episode recaps as a final means of showing you just how awesome this show is.  If I have you even slightly hooked, head on over to the Sci-Fi channel’s official Sanctuary web page to watch full episodes from last season and check out interviews with cast and crew, and a sneak peak at season 2!  Fans of the show, if you haven’t checked it out yet, you should.  The preview of season 2 is pretty interesting!

Stay tuned to GKS for further news on the season 2 premiere episode and after that, full episode recaps!

Filed under: News, Television

45 Responses to “Sanctuary set to return to Sci-Fi (SyFy) this Fall!”

1. Ryan Ferrier Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 11:03 am

I haven’t seen, nor heard of this… but I am intrigued… could look rather lovely.

2. TV, eh? » In the news: Sanctuary returning Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

[...] Sanctuary set to return to Sci-Fi (SyFy) this Fall! “I was fortunate enough to catch every episode of the first season, mostly on tivo. The series was immensely entertaining. Basically, it was a mix between a crime drama and a fairy tale/myth. Each week sent the team on a hunt for some new creature to either give protection and a new home to, or to confine the creature to keep the public safe.” Read more. [...]

3. Twitted by sanctuaryforall Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

[...] This post was Twitted by sanctuaryforall – Real-url.org [...]

4. lauren Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 4:20 pm

It really is quite incredible! I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I gave it a shot because Amanda Tapping is amazing, and it grew on me fast. It’s rather addictive, and visually gorgeous (can’t think of any other show that can use that much greenscreen and not only get away with it, but actually do it well! Anyone who likes sci-fi or fantasy or crime shows (or just good tv) should watch it!

5. Jon Stephens Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

You should check out the Sci-Fi channel page ryan. It is a really good looking show, and done very well.

I’m glad you enjoy the show Lauren. Amanda Tapping is great, and she is amazing on this show. I really can’t wait for season 2 to find out what happened after the season 1 cliffhanger!

6. Adolfo Says:
    June 12th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

My friend said “Come over. I want you to see this show. You’re gonna love it!” I was skeptical but I came over anyway and now I’m hooked. That was a helluva season ender. Can’t wait for next season to start.

7. Giant Killer Squid » Blog Archive » Sci-fi tv preview: Warehouse 13 Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 11:00 am

[...] week I wrote a story about the Sci-Fi (SyFy) channel’s latest original series, Sanctuary.  The show is set to [...]

8. Jon Stephens Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 11:11 am

Thanks for stopping by Adolfo!

I think a lot of people would be skeptical of a series like this. I just wish people would give it a chance like you did. I’m pretty sure that a lot of people would have the same reaction you did. For an off the wall concept, I think it has a surprising amount of mainstream appeal, and it’s just waiting to get the promotion it deserves.

I think there are some big things in store for next season. Man, I’d love to just pick the brain of the creative genius who created the series, Damian Kindler.

One thing that makes the show so impressive is that it started out as an 8 web-isode series that hit the internet in 2007. Sci-Fi channel was impressed and picked it up for a 13 episode season. Now that is impressive.

9. Judy Says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 11:12 am

I must say, I really thought this was going to be another Sci Fi stinker but I watched the pilot epiisode anyhow. I can’t say I was immediately hooked, but I was intrigued enough by the solid storyline to tune in the following week. Next thing I know, I’m ignoring my phone and life for 1 hour on Friday nite! This is such a different and refreshing show, I’m pleased Ms. Tapping found funding for another season. I cannot wait for the openier for season two.

10. Hannah Says:
    June 19th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

This show is awesome!! I too only watched it becasue Amanda was in it at first… now I’m eager to learn more about all the charcters. Can’t wait for season 2!!!

11. ryan Says:
    June 20th, 2009 at 12:25 am

Sanctuary really is ahead of it’s time we just have to catch up to it. This new twist is just the sort of sci fi we are looking for. I have found it to be addicting to watch. I would love to see it go into ten seasons. You truly could go into any direction with this show. Thank you Ms. Tapping and everyone who works so hard on this series to keep it going

12. Lesley Hecht Says:
    June 21st, 2009 at 1:31 am

Brilliant series, have ordered series 1 boxset and cant wait for it. I hope they are going to do audio commentaries as they did on stargate so that we can hear and see how they have created such amazing visuals.

13. Stargate Atlantis Says:
    June 23rd, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

14. ryan Says:
    June 23rd, 2009 at 4:22 pm

i can’t wait to see my most fav actors this fall it is just mind altering fun you have to watch this show.

15. mangababe Says:
    June 26th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I can’t wait for this show to return! Sanctuary is one of the most intelligent, imaginative, and entertaining sci fi/fantasy shows in a long time. I certainly hope that “SyFy” in it’s new incarnation will give this show the support it deserves to continue on for many years to come.

16. Saliza de Castro Says:
    June 27th, 2009 at 9:24 am

OMG! I Love this show! And Amanda Tapping! She’s the one and only SciFi Queen!!!

17. Jon Stephens Says:
    June 29th, 2009 at 9:32 am

I just wanted to take a moment to say that it’s really great to see all the people here come out and support the show. When I sat down to write this, I did it from the perspective of a big time fan, in the hopes that I could get some new viewers to one of the most imaginative new series’ in a very long time. I honestly had no idea the show had such a dedicated following, but it doesnt surprise me. Sanctuary, at least for me, has everything a sci-fi fan could ask for; action, drama, flashy cool creatures and a giant imagination. I really hope that we can keep this series going strong for many seasons to come.

18. Michelle Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I’m getting antsy waiting for the new season to start. It’s date night for my hubby and I. We both love the show. We don’t watch many things together and both like it. I will be very crushed if we only get 2 seasons.

19. littlegreenmouse Says:
    July 3rd, 2009 at 2:22 pm

A repeat saying I know, but this show is SO ADDICTIVE!!! It has everything to keep your attention going and surprise viewers. I’m usually good at figuring out plot lines, but this show has been successful in surprising me!! The special effects are well done, the acting superb and the story lines are right up there! I am a HUGE fan and hope this is a VERY LONG RUNNING show!!

20. Monica Says:
    July 5th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

The first series was great!!!!! Cannot wait for the second! Amanda is the best!!!

21. Barb Says:
    July 11th, 2009 at 11:32 am

Love the show, glad its coming back for a second season.
    We tend to lose the good shows and keep alot of undesireables such as all the realitys shows. Hope to keep this one around for awhile.

22. Wayne Helpard Says:
    July 14th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Awesome show, watch it and can’t wait for season 2!!!!

23. styles1005 Says:
    July 15th, 2009 at 11:48 am

I love Sanctuary & have been looking for months for info about whether it would be coming back on, thank you sooo much for allaying my fears. Now I just have to somehow manage to live through the summer without it . . .

24. ron bond Says:
    July 20th, 2009 at 11:27 am

I’ve just finished viewing season one. It’s as good as many of the other sci fi serials and should be continued.

25. Ed Says:
    July 27th, 2009 at 9:24 pm

This is a fantastic show. The story lines are very creative. The acting is superb. I have been a fan of Amanda Tapping for years and find her ability to portray a strong female lead makes her the ideal person for this character. Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to more, many many more episodes. Those of you who enjoy this style of Sci-Fi, need to send in your comments let the television execs know you are watching and want more.

26. Erica Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:00 am

Loved this show I too watched this on my Tivo….I thought the previews for the show were great but I am a big scifi buff….so to me it wasn’t hard to lure me to watch it….I do hope they continue to keep this show for many seasons. I got my husband watching it as well and he even loved it, that is not an easy thing to accomplish he nit picks at every thing..LOL….

27. Christy Says:
    August 2nd, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I am so glad that this show is comming back! I fell in love with it as well and I am gonna put the word out for people to watch. I love what you had to say but I just wanted to add that my favorit charter in this show is one you did not mention Nikola Tesla. My love for this charter is two fold. Frist, Jonathon Young portrays this egnamitic man to the tea. He is a vampire and although he is deliciously malicious and self serving he is not compleatly evil. I NEED to see more of the fantastic sudo villian! Tesla is a real and truley fascinating historical figure. If you ar a history nerd (like me) you will get a few “inside jokes” . For exmple; in part two of the season finale, each memeber of “the five” has to compleat a special task to retrive a key. Tesla, had to walk through ….you gussed it..a tesla coil.

28. Lou Says:
    August 4th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Heard about Sanctuary just before it began airing on SCI-FI, when it was still an “internet TV miniseries.” Never had a chance to watch it on TV. Stumbled across the series as an “Instant Watch” on Netflix. Added it to my queue and have been watching it for several weeks now. Glad to see it has been renewed. Anyone that wants to get up to speed (or refresh the memory) should search for Sanctuary on Netflix.

29. LaToya Says:
    August 11th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I just finished watching the entire season on netflix instant watch and I am sooooo ready for season 2. I was hoping that it had already started and could jump right in and catch up on any episode I may have missed. The last episode was such a cliffhanger…I had never heard of the show until I was looking around Netflix…I hope they make it an instant watch or I see some kind of commercial or something to let me know when it premieres….

30. Christel Says:
    August 13th, 2009 at 5:47 am

31. Christel Says:
    August 13th, 2009 at 5:50 am

Began watching on SciFi Channel Australia Need season 2 of Sanctuary hooked on as much as as Stargate SG1 and Atlantis.. Amanda Tapping makes good choices for her career

32. Syl J Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 8:22 pm

congrats Amanda on your show. Its number one in my books xoxoxoxo

33. Kathy Says:
    August 20th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Love the show and glad it is returning.

34. John Says:
    August 23rd, 2009 at 4:38 pm

BRILLIANT ,the last two episodes,,the highlander crowd was sure to love it,,but ,,,i would like to see the writers work in “Jack O’Neal”Anderson,,and maybe even Stan Kirsh”richie”Adrian Paul has a possibllity in my opion,,,Sanctuary Rocks

35. Steven - AUST Says:
    August 24th, 2009 at 2:16 am

I’m a dedicated SG groupie….. and have been since the original
    movies came out. But after seeing season 1 of Sanctuary, I can
    honestly say that the writers must have had Amanda Tapping in
    mind when they created the character of Helen Magnus.
    To end the show after 1 season would be a Universal Crime.

36. Kacie Says:
    August 25th, 2009 at 12:38 am

i am completely addicted to Sanctuary and can’t wait until season 2 starts up!

37. sanctuary Says:
    August 27th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

does anyone know if it will be coming back to ITV4???

38. Marta Caro Says:
    September 9th, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I was soooo happy to find this website and to get confirmation that Sanctuary will be back! Hurray. This series is both funny and scary and historical and fictional. It is a conglomoration of a lot of things that all somehow work together. Amanda Tapping is phenomenal and, in this role, the ultimate cougar of all. Her assistant has the hots for her instead of for her daughter … although now it seems they might have him get some “invisible” loving. ; )

BBC cancelled its sci-fi series Primeval – which also had great special effects and monsters – if you get a chance you might want to catch it on DVD.

I hope that Sanctuary continues with bringing villains from our historical pasts into the present day – loved Dr. Watson being the mastermind behind the Sherlock Holmes fame. I was sad to see him die. But perhaps it is a nonpermanent event as is the way of some sci-fi deaths.

Keep watching Sanctuary and write the studio about keeping it going for a long time to come!

39. Kiana Coleman Says:
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I was channel surfing and stumbled upon Sanctuary. I like the sci-fi genre but have never really watched the sci-fi channel. I’m soooo happy I found this show. From the strong female lead to the twists and turns in the writing…it is just an amazing show! I hope it sticks around for many more seasons. Thank you for letting us know it was picked up for a second season. I’ll certainly be watching.

40. Laurel Pardo Says:
    September 24th, 2009 at 11:30 am

My father-in-law is a huge sci fi fan and he saw the trailers for this, told me about it. From the first episode on we NEVER missed it!! We were so sure it wasn’t going to come back simply because it’s scifi!! I am soo excited for this!!! Everybody in the house knows when Sanctuary is on the tv belongs to my father-in-law and I, no talking, no phones and do not stand in front of the tv unless you carry a signed deathwish!!!!!

41. weirdguy Says:
    October 9th, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Although I like the premise of this show and the episodes are fairly entertaining plus the show has some pretty good moments, it’s really, really agonizing how dumb the good guys are. Some of the traps may not be so obvious, but a lot of them are like “OH COME ON IT’S A TRAP AND YOU’RE WALKING RIGHT INTO IT” and they keep losing every conflict with the cabal because of it, despite the fact that most of the members are older than the cabal.

Still, I’ll watch it with the hopes that they start actually being decent at their job rather than moving so slow that the local police could outwit them.

42. John-n-Missy Says:
    October 11th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

the trap thing is ture,,but they are going to have to kill ashly to stop her,or sick henry on her,,”heal” good boy

43. John-n-Missy Says:
    October 11th, 2009 at 5:46 pm

oh and local police couldn’t find water if they feel into a lake,,,lol

44. John-n-Missy Says:
    October 11th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

another thought is that ashly will kill tesla and then she will be the vampire on the show full time,,i hope not tesla’s funny,or ashly might kill off druitt,,anyway the show is killer.But why give a washed up stargate a 2 hour season starter and sancuary only gets 1 hour and then we wait a week for part 2,,,what a rip off

45. Russell James Says:
    September 18th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I’ve seen both seasons, and must admit, I love these types of shows, but some episodes are hit and miss, and don’t always flow together very well. The main character Amanda Tapping, (gorgeous girl), if only she’d stop saying “I should have realised”, or ” I shouldn’t have left them alone”, or words to that affect. She’;s the brains of the outfit, but keeps making wrong decisions. But of course….. if she didn’t, we wouldn’t have a show, would we ?? Unfortunately, the plot/s is/are starting to dry up, me thinks.