Posted on: June 9th, 2009 Iron Man 2 – Whiplash Revealed!

Now this is exciting.

Iron Man/Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau gave us a little treat today… our first real glimpse of Mickey Rourke as the villanous Whiplash in Iron Man 2. Favreau gave us the USA Today scoop via his Twitter feed.

Viva la technology. Check out the pic:

Click through for Hi-Res!

mickey-rourke-whiplash

I’m totally digging this. Though I bet this will be just an early version of the character’s “suit” – think his version of the Mark I – this really has some badass potential. I’m terrified of the man in the suit, not just the suit (which I’m sure will shit on your day itself ). I’m now more intrigued, which I didn’t think possible.

More Iron Man 2 news as we get it. Remember, the film rockets into theaters (lame, I know) May 7, 2010.

Source: USA Today, Twitter

Filed under: Movies, News, comics

7 Responses to “Iron Man 2 – Whiplash Revealed!”

1. Richard Christensen Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 7:07 am

Kind of has a mad max look and feel to it.

2. Ben Rankel Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

“Whiplash” (as the actual character’s name is Backlash now in the comics) is a very poor choice for an Iron Man villain. It’s like trying to use the Hypno-Hustler as the main villain of a Spider-Man film. Horrible. That is all.

3. Jon Stephens Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I have to agree with Ben on the poor choice. I can’t stand Whiplash, at least how he’s been portrayed in the comics so far. But I was writing about this today over at MovieGuys, and I really sat down to think about this character in the film and the picture, and I have to say that
    1). We don’t know exactly how Whiplash will be portrayed in the film. Fav’s could take some liberties to make him a more “film appropriate” villain.
    2). Iron Man kicked so much ass that I have complete faith in Favreau and his ability to make a great Iron Man movie. That movie proved that you could have a super-successful super hero flick that is action packed, fun, and lighter in tone as opposed to TDK that everyone is trumpeting as the second coming of christ on film. You don’t have to go dark, and Iron Man proved that.

I completely agree with you Ryan that this is likely the “Whiplash mark 1″ suit, and it will likely see improvements. Anyone else think it looks like he’s testing his suit at a NASCAR event? Anyway, hopefully the suit gets better than that. Im sure it will. I might even go for the bondage look just to cover up Rourke’s ugly mug! Joking of course!

I’m really excited about this. From the picture, it looks like the initial reports that Rourke’s character would be a mix of Whiplash and the Crimson Dynamo are WRONG. That’s a good thing!

4. Ryan Ferrier Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Ben.. I love you… but nah. I’m diggin’ on Whiplash or Backlash or Diaper Rash or whoever he is.

Lets face it, Iron Man has not one cool villain. Not one. For real.

What I see in the pic? Mickey effing Rourke all tatted up and Russianed out with motherfuggin dual whips. It’s scientifically B.A.

So if Favreau and team (who’ve proven themselves trustworthy) think they can make something shitty into something good, then I’ll bite.

Also, The Spot > Hypno-Hustler.

5. Ben Rankel Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I’m sort of a one trick pony. In as far as I only ever ticked one pony. Dumbass wasn’t even wearing shoelaces.

That’s all beside the point. I need to argue the comment that Iron Man doesn’t have a great villain. I would like to formally disagree. Oh sure, you may not be able to on the spot name one of Shell Head’s top super-villain foils. But in my opinion Iron Man’s greatest nemesis has always been Tony Stark. I think Marvel knows this as well. In spite of all his success, Tony is just never quite able to make things all work out for the best.

Maybe man vs. man is a little more generic and safe, but I want man vs. self. I want to see Tony bugger up his life, and the Golden Avenger’s life with his alcoholism, womanizing, and self-centered attitude. In reality, I doubt we’ll ever see Hollywood offer up a character piece about a super hero with any serious intent. But I still want it.

Barring that, I move to my second argument. The likes of Madame Mask, Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin (for real this time) or even Fin Fang Foom have a more seeded and interesting history with Iron Man and Tony Stark than the crappy man once named Whiplash (who, aside from being a d-list villain, has almost squared off more often against Spider-Man than Iron Man).

A silver lining however – Iron Man has never been one of my more followed or revered Marvel properties, so I’ll be much more open to seeing them fuck with his story and villains than I might be with other IP’s. And like you’ve all mentioned, Iron Man the first was a big success and entertaining and I indeed also trust Mr. Favreau. I’m sure it won’t be complete and utter crap.

I guess I’m hard to please.

6. Jon Stephens Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:28 am

I’m with Ben on this one Ryan. Iron Man has some very cool, interesting villains. The problem is that none of them really fit in Fav’s Iron Man mythos RIGHT NOW. Dynamo is great, but man in machine against man in machine again wouldn’t feel fresh. The mandarin is great, but I understand why they are holding him back for the third film. Fing Fang foom is awesome, but doesn’t really fit in with the realistic feel Fav’s is going with in the franchise. May I officially submit the Living Laser and the Controller. Both villains have awesome powers and would pose legitimate threat to IM, and would fit in nicely.

I just want to say that I’m glad you mentioned Iron Man vs Tony Stark. I’ve always thought that was a brilliant concept explored well in the Iron Man comics. When Iron Man has been at his lowest, it’s been because of punishment he’s inflicted upon his self thanks to his alcoholism and womanizing. You are right Ben in that we’ll probably never see that concept fully and properly explored in film, but it should be. Adding a humanizing element to a super hero makes the hero more connected to the real world. People could empathize with him; everyone knows a self-destructive person. I would love to see it, but it prob will never happen.

7. Ryan Ferrier Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:35 am

See but that’s my point exactly – the few cool villains that Iron Man does have won’t translate well in the tone Favreau has established. This is my big fear with bringing Thor into the universe that up until then is loosely grounded.

This is why I think Whiplash will work – it’s a tangible, reasonable villain. And he looks bad-ass! Look at the picture! I am all for Favreau taking a turd villain and really fleshing him out for us; making him cool.

As far as the alcoholism/self-destruction part, they’ll touch on it. It may not be fully explored in this film, but they’ll do it in a way that makes for a progressive story. They couldn’t possibly focus an entire plot to the ‘Demon in a Bottle’ arc, because let’s face it, it would be boring. It wouldn’t be a fun movie at all. It’s a great little read, and leads to some exciting events, but the last thing I, or any other comic/film fan wants, is Tony Stark in Leaving Las Vegas.